A national healthcare and residential care home provider
The group provides residential care homes, hospitals and healthcare services to locations across the UK.
Litmus was commissioned to work alongside and support the project team in undertaking a strategic review of the catering and housekeeping strategy.
Litmus was briefed to make recommendations for the future strategic and operational management of the catering and housekeeping services with the aim of:
- Raising service levels recognising and taking into account different service needs within the sectors operated by the group;
- Maximising economies of scale;
- Enabling and supporting supplier relationship management and improving lines of communication;
- Developing a national catering and housekeeping policy, procedures and service standards linked to KPI’s enabling performance management to be managed in a consistent manner; and
- Streamlining administrative processes.
Chris Durant, the Litmus Partnership, said: “To begin our work we undertook operational reviews at sample sites across the UK to understand current service levels and collate data on the locations, services, labour structures and costs.
“We met with the stakeholders and through a series of interviews determined key priorities. We identified suitable contractors and engaged in structured meetings and presentations, which then led to a shortlist being chosen.
“Before appointing someone a detailed evaluation and forecasting of financial and operational proposals, including purchasing efficiency, was completed.”
Once the contractor was appointed, significant savings were realised as well as opportunities to develop stronger supply chain partnerships and transfer of risk.
“We also leveraged industry leading best practice to identify improvement opportunities; we’re always keeping our eyes open to what others are doing in the industry and where we can be inspired with new working methods.”